Lights and Helmets are required!
Please check out our generous sponsors — Quality Bike, Bicycle Link, and Perry Rubber Bike Shop — if you need help getting set up with lights or a helmet. We will also have a limited number of reasonably priced lights and helmets available for sale at registration. If you need to rent a bicycle, contact Perry Rubber Bike Shop
A police escort will be maintained for riders’ safety. Slower riders may be asked to turn around along the route to maintain a cohesive group.
Rules of the Road
Riding a bike at night presents additional hazards. While we will have a police escort, cars may be present on the course. Riders will need to show caution. Here are a few tips for safe nighttime riding:
- All bikes MUST be equipped with a white front light and a red rear light.
- Helmets are required for cyclists and their child passengers.
- Ride more slowly and cautiously than you would by daylight.
- Darkness tends to impair depth perception and hazards will be more difficult to see.
- Obey all traffic signs and lights unless directed otherwise by marshals or police.
- Follow the instructions of the SCMPD Officers and the course marshals.
- Stay on the rightmost lane of the street and ride in the same direction as automobile traffic.
- It’s always a good idea to wear white or light-colored clothing for visibility.
Bike trailers should have reflectors and vertical flags.
- Children under the age of 17 must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Children under 8 permitted only in an approved carrier, tagalong or tandem.
- Alcohol is prohibited during the ride.
Savannah Bicycle Campaign reserves the right to remove participants from the course if the organizer deems in their sole discretion that the rider will be unsafe or that the rider is not complying with local law. In such case, no refund will be made to the participant.